Apple cider vinegar has gained immense popularity as a weight loss aid, thanks to its potential health benefits. It is available in two commonly used forms: liquid and gummies.
This article delves into a comprehensive comparison between apple cider vinegar liquid vs gummies for weight loss and its effectiveness. By exploring the distinctions between these two forms, you may gain insights to make an informed decision on which option suits your preferences and goals.
Apple Cider Vinegar Liquid
What Is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a fermented liquid made from crushed apples. It undergoes a two-step fermentation process, where the sugars in the apple are converted into alcohol and then into acetic acid. Acetic acid is the main active compound responsible for the potential health benefits of apple cider vinegar, including its impact on weight loss.
Weight Loss Benefits
- Acetic Acid and Weight Loss
Acetic acid in apple cider vinegar is believed to play a role in weight loss. Studies suggest that acetic acid can suppress appetite, increase feelings of fullness, and reduce calorie intake1.
- Appetite and Cravings Reduction
It may help curb cravings and reduce appetite, which can be beneficial for weight loss. It has been reported to slow down the rate at which a meal that contains starch leaves the stomach, leading to increased satiety2,3.
- Metabolism and Fat Burning
Some research indicates that ACV may enhance metabolism and promote fat burning4. It is thought to activate certain genes that help break down fats and improve insulin sensitivity5.
- Scientific Studies
While there is limited scientific evidence specifically focusing on apple cider vinegar and weight loss, some studies have shown promising results. However, more research is needed to understand its effects and mechanisms fully.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar Liquid
- Dosage and Frequency
The recommended dosage of ACV varies but typically ranges from 1 to 2 tablespoons diluted in water per day. It is advisable to start with a lower dosage and gradually increase it. Drinking apple cider vinegar before meals may help suppress appetite.
- Incorporating Apple Cider Vinegar into the Diet
Apple cider vinegar can be incorporated into the diet by using it as a salad dressing, adding it to marinades, or mixing it with water and other ingredients to create a refreshing beverage.
- Side Effects and Precautions
Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic, and consuming it undiluted or in excessive amounts can lead to tooth enamel erosion, throat irritation, and digestive issues. It is essential to dilute it properly and avoid overconsumption.
Other Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar Liquid
In addition to its potential weight loss benefits, apple cider vinegar liquid has been associated with several other health benefits. These include improved blood sugar control, reduced cholesterol levels, and enhanced digestion6. However, there is still more research needed to establish these effects conclusively.
Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies
What Are Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies?
Apple cider vinegar gummies are a more recent development in the market. They are formulated to provide the benefits of apple cider vinegar in a convenient and enjoyable gummy form. While the exact composition may vary, these gummies typically contain apple cider vinegar extract along with other ingredients.
Weight Loss Benefits
- Acetic Acid in Gummy Form
Apple cider vinegar gummies, similar in liquid form, contain acetic acid. Which again is the key component responsible for its potential weight loss effects. While the research on the efficacy of acetic acid in gummy form specifically is limited, it is believed that the acetic acid present in gummies may offer similar weight loss benefits as apple cider vinegar liquid.
- Curbing Appetite and Promoting Satiety
Like the liquid form, AVC gummies may help reduce appetite and increase feelings of fullness. The gummies can be taken before meals to potentially curb overeating and promote portion control.
- Metabolism and Fat Burning
While scientific studies specifically examining the effects of apple cider vinegar gummies on metabolism and fat burning are lacking, it is plausible that the acetic acid content in gummies could have similar effects as the liquid form. However, further research is needed to validate these claims.
- Scientific Studies
As apple cider vinegar gummies are a relatively new product, there is limited research on their direct effects on weight loss. Studies examining the effects of liquid apple cider vinegar may provide some insights, but more research is necessary to determine the effectiveness of gummies.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies
- Recommended Dosage and Frequency
The recommended dosage of apple cider vinegar gummies may vary depending on the brand and formulation. It is important to carefully read the product label and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Typically, consuming 1-2 gummies per day is suggested.
- Convenience of Consumption
One of the main advantages of apple cider vinegar gummies is their convenience and palatability. They offer a more enjoyable and hassle-free way to incorporate apple cider vinegar into your routine, especially for individuals who find the taste of liquid vinegar unpleasant.
- Side Effects and Precautions
While apple cider vinegar gummies are generally considered safe, it is essential to adhere to the recommended dosage. Excessive consumption can lead to digestive issues, such as stomach upset and diarrhea.
Additionally, some gummy formulations may contain added sugars or other ingredients, so it is important to choose high-quality products and check the label for any allergens or potential sensitivities.
Other Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies
Apart from potential weight loss benefits, apple cider vinegar gummies may offer the same benefits as those in liquid form. These include improved digestion, support for lower blood sugar levels, and potential antioxidant properties. However, more research is needed to substantiate these claims, specifically for apple cider vinegar gummies.
Choosing Quality Apple Cider Vinegar Liquid And Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies
When choosing apple cider vinegar or apple cider gummies, there are several key factors to consider. By paying attention to these factors, you can ensure that you select a high-quality product that suits your needs. Here are some important aspects to look for:
1. Quality and Purity – opt for products that use organic, unfiltered, and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. These varieties typically retain the “mother,” a cloudy substance containing beneficial enzymes and bacteria. For gummies, check if they are made from high-quality apple cider vinegar extract.
2. Acetic Acid Content – look for products with a substantial acetic acid content. Acetic acid is the primary active compound responsible for the potential weight loss benefits of apple cider vinegar. In gummies, check if the acetic acid content is clearly mentioned on the label.
3. Additional Ingredients – read the ingredient list carefully, especially for gummies. Ensure that there are no unnecessary additives, fillers, or artificial sweeteners. Ideally, choose gummies made with natural flavors and sweeteners.
4. Dosage and Serving Size – consider the recommended dosage and serving size for both liquid and gummies. This will help you determine how long the product will last and the cost-effectiveness of the option.
5. Brand Reputation– research the brand’s reputation and credibility. Look for brands that prioritize transparency, quality sourcing, and have positive customer reviews.
6. Certifications and Testing – check if the product has undergone third-party testing for quality and purity. Certifications such as USDA Organic or GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) can provide additional assurance of the product’s quality.
7. Allergens and Dietary Restrictions – if you have specific dietary restrictions or allergies, carefully read the labels to ensure that the product is suitable for your needs. Some gummies may contain common allergens like gluten, dairy, or soy.
8. Price and Value – compare prices and consider the value offered by the product. Keep in mind that higher prices don’t always guarantee better quality, so balance your budget with the quality and reputation of the product.
9. Customer Reviews and Feedback – take the time to read customer reviews and feedback on the product you are considering. Real-life experiences can provide insights into the product’s effectiveness and overall customer satisfaction.
Apple Cider Vinegar Liquid vs Gummies For Weight Loss
Both apple cider vinegar liquid and gummies have their own advantages and considerations when it comes to weight loss. Apple cider vinegar liquid has a long history of traditional use and some scientific evidence supporting its weight loss benefits. On the other hand, apple cider vinegar gummies offer convenience, palatability, and the potential to provide similar effects as the liquid form. Ultimately, the choice between the two forms depends on personal preferences and lifestyle factors.
Regardless of the form you choose, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating apple cider vinegar into your weight loss journey. They can provide personalized guidance, recommend appropriate dosage, and address any concerns or potential interactions with medications.
Remember, while apple cider vinegar may have some potential benefits for weight loss, it is not a magic solution. Sustainable weight loss requires a holistic approach that includes a balanced diet, regular physical activity, and overall healthy lifestyle habits.
1 Hasan F, Hamilton K, Angadi S, Kranz S. The Effects of Vinegar/Acetic Acid Intake on Appetite Measures and Energy Consumption: A Systematic Literature Review. Curr Dev Nutr. 2022 Jun 14;6(Suppl 1):285. doi: 10.1093/cdn/nzac053.026. PMCID: PMC9193460.
2 Cherta-Murillo A, Pugh JE, Alaraj-Alshehhi S, Hajjar D, Chambers ES, Frost GS. The effects of SCFAs on glycemic control in humans: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2022 Aug 4;116(2):335-361. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/nqac085. PMID: 35388874; PMCID: PMC9348993.
3 Liljeberg H, Björck I. Delayed gastric emptying rate may explain improved glycaemia in healthy subjects to a starchy meal with added vinegar. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1998 May;52(5):368-71. doi: 10.1038/sj.ejcn.1600572. PMID: 9630389.
4 Sakakibara S, Yamauchi T, Oshima Y, Tsukamoto Y, Kadowaki T. Acetic acid activates hepatic AMPK and reduces hyperglycemia in diabetic KK-A(y) mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006 Jun 2;344(2):597-604. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2006.03.176. Epub 2006 Apr 5. PMID: 16630552.
5 Fushimi T, Sato Y. Effect of acetic acid feeding on the circadian changes in glycogen and metabolites of glucose and lipid in liver and skeletal muscle of rats. Br J Nutr. 2005 Nov;94(5):714-9. doi: 10.1079/bjn20051545. PMID: 16277773.
6 Ousaaid D, Laaroussi H, Bakour M, ElGhouizi A, Aboulghazi A, Lyoussi B, ElArabi I. Beneficial Effects of Apple Vinegar on Hyperglycemia and Hyperlipidemia in Hypercaloric-Fed Rats. J Diabetes Res. 2020 Jul 10;2020:9284987. doi: 10.1155/2020/9284987. PMID: 32766316; PMCID: PMC7374219.